Friday 9 December 2011

From Saints to St. Andrews

      BIRMINGHAM CITY
V
DONCASTER ROVERS


The last time Rovers and the Blues met was very unusual.  It was one of the few games over recent seasons that I neither watched nor listened in.  It still troubles me to think about it!

The reason?  Well, the game in March 2009 at the Keepmoat was televised on Sky so I checked with my local Irish Bar if they would put it on.  

Unforunately, the pub was preferring to show some insignificant egg-chasing involving Scotland and Ireland.  So I tried an English bar in Zürich.  We were on and Mrs. Duck and I made the 40 minute trip.

An Appropriate Shrine
I was double-crossed as the barman at the Big Ben Pub told me he was showing the rugby.  No amount of protestation was going to change that.  I desperately tried to find another bar, but rugby fans suddenly seemed more numerous than I ever imagined in Zürich.

My phone was telling me Rovers were already 2-down so I did the only thing I could think of that might help.  I found an appropriate shrine and prayed.

Well, I'm not renowned for my faith but at least it didn't get any worse for the Rovers.  Mrs. Duck and I ended up going to see "the Reader" at the pictures.  It was crap.  Bad day all around.  Lets hope tomorrow goes a wee bit better.

BIRMINGHAM CITY


There's not an easy away-day in the championship but I'm sure this one looks like one of the more difficult ones at first sight.  The Blues are just relegated from the premier league; are Carling Cup holders and are still involved in European competition.  Opponents to be reckoned with indeed!

But in the league, it could be better and I'm sure all Blues fans would give up the European adventure for a league position that would put them less than 7 points off the last play-off place.  A quick return to the premier league seems unlikely at this point in the season.

Watching the highlights from the game away to Hull I'd have to say the defending from wide positions by Birmingham was shocking.  The first half left me thinking "I bet Hull's goals come from the left hand side".  They didn't, they came from the right but for the same reason.  That reason being the complete absence of Full-Backs.

Up front, Birmingham scored from a route one goal and look to have plenty of size in the team should they want to play that way.  I saw a lot of direct play and intent to get crosses into the box.  

In the other matches I looked at, the desire to get the early ball into the box was again dominant.  The chief providers are Wade Elliott and, a player I think is one of the most under-estimated in the championship, Chris Burke.  In Marlon King, they also have a striker who has more about him than to rely on crosses.  He looks well able to play off the shoulder of ther last man.

That defence still doesn't inspire any confidence though.  One move from Blackpool saw the offside-trap beaten by three players at once and as the ball is moved out wide, there is all too often little resistance until it is returned to the middle.

So out wide, it could be worth giving Kyle Bennett an opportunity as I doubt the Blues full backs will handle his pace.  Once again, an on-form James Coppinger would cause huge difficulties on the evidence I saw.

DONCASTER ROVERS 


Congratulations Billy
First of all, I have to say congratulations to Billy Sharp, who after netting 4 times in November, was deservedly given the Championship Player of the Month Award.  Billy tweeted that he hoped the votes he won were made for his goals rather than his situation.  I say that four goals in five merits the award on its own.  His situation just makes Billy all the more inspirational.

Last week, Rovers delivered the shock-result of the championship season so far in beating Southampton.  I said they had a chance (really, I did, go and look).  

My sources tell me that never have a team been more flattered by their league position than Southampton based on their performance at the Keepmoat.  That's as maybe, but like the new regime or not, and I don't, you have to give credit where credit is due.

Bottom of the table, with a huge list of injuries,  deservedly beat top of the table.  Well done Deano and Donny!

Off the pitch and the signing of Rovers latest short-term player, Lamine Diatta has gone through.  But after last week's performance, I would doubt if he would feature tomorrow. 

Finally, there are rumours that L'Orient's Innocent Emeghara could be moving to Donny in January.  Innocent used to play for my current home-team, FC Winterthur.  Will he join the list of great people to have moved between the towns?

Blues and Rovers - Enjoy the match tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment