Friday 16 March 2012

Rovers v Rams

DONCASTER ROVERS
 - V -
DERBY COUNTY

OK Derby fans you can blame me.  Its my fault. Shortly after we met back in August, I was asked by a fellow Blogger for my opinions on who was going up.  The first name I chose was Derby because they were going like a train at the time.  I thought that they were a very good bet and that they deserved it for keeping faith with Nigel Clough despite his not really meeting expectation for a club with Derby's following.

I am the world's worst tipster and never make any prediction on Rovers games.  What I did back at the start of the season was not done with any malice aforethought.  I just answered a direct question when asked.  I do apologize for your having another indifferent season Rams' fans.

Our meeting at Pride Park saw the Rams take on a sadly pathetic Rovers side who barely raised an attack over the 90 minutes.  3:0 was a fair and appropriate scoreline.

But that was then, when the Rovers squad was small and ravaged by injury.  Now the squad is huge and injuries are fewer.  Hopefully it will not be anywhere near as easy.

DONCASTER ROVERS  


Giles Barnes - Getting Stick
Fair enough from Deano I think, and if he can get players with the talent of Barnes to start working more off the ball, he's onto a winner.

I have written Rovers off many times this season.  There is still a long way to go and we are a long way from "out of the woods".  However, it does look like at a very minimum, we're gonna go down fighting.  If its got to be, I wouldn't have it any other way.  But has it got to be yet?  Noooo!

We are now unbeaten in 5 and the last two, an away draw with the Hammers and putting an end to an 8-game 100% run built up by Reading have been excellent results.  In fact, of the current top 6, there is only Middlesbrough who haven't given us at least a point this season.  And we do have another chance against them.

Now, as much as I like being unbeaten, there is a problem,  We've only won two games since the turn of the year.  That is what has got to change if we are going to get out of this situation.   So I'll cheer, clap and celebrate those excellent points we have won against some of the better teams in this league.  But, no disrespect intended to Derby, they are not one of these teams.  Derby at home is exactly the sort of game that we must win to stay in the Championship.  Let's do that lads!

DERBY COUNTY


What was the turning point of Doncaster's halcyon championship days, my Grandkids will ask me in the future and I will tell them our failure to sign Jason Shackell at the start of the 2010/11 season.  Since we failed to sign him, really, through no fault of our own, the struggles have started.

It's sad to hear that quote from Jason, I'd like to see him help a club to promotion and have a go in the top flight.

So, apart from my admiration of Jason Shackell, is there any one else at Pride Park worthy of comment.

Well Derby, of course did Rovers a great favour by beating Forest while we were getting that point against Reading.  I have a feeling that it was their pleasure to do so and we didn't need to ask, but another defeat for Forest was gratefully received.

The theme of the match for me was both teams struggling to deal with innocuous balls into the box.  Things that should have been cleared by both defences were causing more flapping than Bernard Matthews in Norfolk on 22nd December.  It was nice to watch from my point of view and the Rams should certainly consider themselves lucky that they are not visiting Reading, who's set-pieces in mid-week at the Keepmoat were excellent.

Against Watford and at first, I saw similar stuff.  Balls coming into Derby's box that they should have been dealing with but didn't.  This certainly caused the first goal they conceded.  So for Donny, I'm going to say gt it in quick and early, but vary the position.  The defence looks shaky when exposed to this kind of thing.

Going forwards, well, until the second half against Watford, I didn't see much.  But then all of a sudden, bang! some really great one-touch stuff that tore the Hornet's to shreds.  Sadly they didn't finish, but none the less it was impressive stuff.  Another day, Watford could have been well beaten.

So for me, this is it.  Not a MUST WIN for Rovers in terms of the Mathematics,  but a match against a team who Rovers can beat.  Games like this will determine our destiny this season.

Enjoy the match everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Good piece, Fuzzy. I see you have inherited the enigma they're already calling...well, Giles Barnes. He's like russian roulette. If the bullets in the barrel today he might do some damage. But it'll be a rare thing. However, football, as someone once remarked, is a funny old game. Nice to be playing an honest, proper club. May the best team win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Kev - as you saw Giles had blanks in his gun on Saturday. But I'm not singling him out , by all accounts, awfulness was pretty much the order of the day from the Rovers.

    The best team did win and a small consolation for me was seeing Robbo and Greeny playing a key part in your victory. I was surprised Robbo hadn't yet hit the target for you, hopefully he'll start now. He tended to score the spectacular goals for Rovers so you could be in for some fireworks!

    ReplyDelete