Monday 12 March 2012

Rovers v Royals


DONCASTER ROVERS
-V-
READING

Some of this article was written prior to the original date for this fixture. 


Do you know, I've had years of happy memories about this fixture for all the wrong reasons.  I have always thought that a mere duckling of 7 went to watch Donny for the first time in 1975, when we drew one-a-piece with the Royals.  Not so.  I wasn't there.  You see, when I look at that season, I see the following matches. 
  • A 4-3 home win against Mansfield Town (who were crowned 4th division champions that season).
  • A 4-7 (seven)   - call me the vidiprinter away defeat to Shrewsbury, who finished as runners-up.
  • A 3-3 home draw to Exeter (a remarkable match which saw Rovers' 'keeper, Graham Brown carried off, injured with Rovers 2-0 down.  With the writing on the wall, Stan Brookes went between the posts and performed heroics allowing Donny to rescue the draw).
Nice though it would have been to say that I recollected these matches, I can only say that I have recollected the recollections of my elder brother.  His stories of these games persuaded me that I should be attending too.  And so, the next season, I did.  My first game being a 0-2 defeat to Cambridge United on the first day of 1975-76 season.  I have pinned it down further due to remembering witnessing a remarkable and unique achievement that happened at Donny a week or so later.

The late Chris Balderstone became the only man ever to participate in a 1st class cricket match AND a league football fixture on the same day.  He played for Leicestershire against Derbyshire and was 51 not out, when, at the end of play he drove up to Donny to don his boots and take on Brentford.  Remarkable!

Anyway, its a real shame that Reading were not, in fact, involved in my first ever experience of Doncaster Rovers.  This mistake has ruined my pre-match article.   I do apologise.

Tell you what, I'll get nostalgic about the fixture at the MadStad earlier this season.  A rare away match, let alone match for me these days.  A great day in the company of Canadian Rover, who, were it not for my intervention, would still be finding his way back home to Donny ;-)


DONCASTER ROVERS


He's ducking mad!  But, I'll tell you what, when it comes to Donny, so am I and if Dioufy wants to join me in my madness, well, I bid him a warm welcome to Fuzzyland.  He can be my ambassador for sport.

The Rovers' revival has started.  We hope.  Unbeaten in four with one win and three draws.  OK, it should be unbeaten in 5 with at least three wins but I'm not going to let that detract from the last two outings.  We deservedly beat Forest at the City Ground and undeservedly left Upton Park with just the one point.  Belief and passion certainly seems to have been re-awakened in the Rovers squad.  Are we now playing the Dean Saunders' way, well, I think the jury is still out on that one but it's been better of late!


To some extent, we've been here before though.  Between November and January we notched up an unbeaten home run of 5 matches.  Southampton, Leicester and Barnsley were beaten while draws were notched up against Cardiff and Watford.  Not bad at all!  Admittedly, during this period, away form was terrible but we have had a little sunshine.


So why are we so hopeful now? Well, I think the first thing is that in the last four matches, Rovers have not been conceding like they were.  One goal a game in the last four compared with 1.7 prior to that.  We have also gone two games without throwing away points in the final minutes.  Yes, it got a bit close for comfort last Tuesday against Forest but we didn't and against West Ham, it was more likely that we would nick all three points towards the end than lose our hard-earned one.  


For me, that's the key really.  If we are to beat the Royals, there's got to be no stupidly deep defending without any outlets and no losing concentration in the last 10 minutes.  Then we just have to play well and its possible.

Reading


Going back to that early season game that I attended with Canadian Rover, I am certain he will testify to our hearing this.

We were made welcome by Reading fans and one of them definately said "If you can't beat us, you're in real trouble!".  Well, he was right.  We didn't beat Reading and we are in real trouble.  But by his rule, the same must be said for Bristol City, Middlesbrough, Burnley, Derby, Southampton, Palace, Birmingham, Ipswich, Peterboro', West Ham, Leeds, Brighton and Watford, who have all failed to beat Reading (sometimes twice) since we were defeated 2:0 at the MadStad.  Ironically, one of the teams who HAVE beaten the Royals is Nottingham Forest, who ARE in as much trouble than Rovers.  Aren't football fans funny folk?

Le Fondre - Is He Ex-Directory?

The match at the MadStad saw Adam Le Fondre score a debut goal, that must have been bliss for an ex-Miller.  Since then, Le Fondre has gone on to become the Royals' top scorer.  Adam was a player who was associated with a move to Donny for a long time.  What can I say, other than it seems that Willie McKay forgot to put Adam's number in his Nokia!


Along with Adam, there's Simon Church and Noel Hunt, players who have been performing at this level for years now.  Either one of them would probably get into the majority of championship teams.

Anyway,  lets have a quick look at what the third placed side in the league have to offer.


Well, with 8 runs in a row, Reading are the real form side at the moment.  Against Leicester, they used width really well, having a man over on either side of the attack on pretty much every move I saw.  Its a simple formula that requires good support of the frontmen from the midfield, never demonstrated better than by Mikele Leigetwood's great strike for Reading's first against the Foxes.  The use of wide-men means of course, that any over-hit cross or anything that goes across the area is coming straight back.  Very difficult to defend.


Against Portsmouth and it was more of the same.  So much of the trouble Reading cause comes from wide positions and stopping that from happening may be a key requirement for any team to succeed against them.  No way will that be easy though!


At the back? Well, Portsmouth hardly tested them and Leicester managed little more.  I saw David Nugent, who never struck me as the fastest of strikers simply run away from the right back so is there a question to be asked there?  Sadly for Rovers, that was seriously all I saw.


Big big ask for Rovers tomorrow evening as the Royals are beginning to rule the championship.


No comments:

Post a Comment