Monday 22 August 2011



DONCASTER ROVERS
V
LEEDS UNITED



I mentioned on the Forest thread that over recent seasons, traditional rivalries have changed, Forest and Leeds have replaced Rotherham as Derby rivals for Donny.  After an interuption of two seasons, the reason for which escapes me at the moment, business between the two clubs was resumed last season.

I really don't like writing this bit but I do try to be honest and balanced in these articles so here goes.

Leeds clearly had the better of our encounters last season.  I actually saw them play the tie at the Keepmoat and Rovers escaped with a goaless draw as Leeds had by far the better opportunities during the game.  At Elland Road there was to be no escape and United ran out convincing 5:2 winners.  It was entertaining stuff though, which is more than can be said for many games Rovers played at that stage of the season. 

There.  I did it and it felt awful!

In the previous round Donny were at their imperious best.  We got strutty against Tranmere completely outclassing our league 1 opponents and goals from Chris Brown, Ryan Mason and Kyle Bennett booked our place in this round.

Leeds, on the other hand did not make such light work of Bradford.  United were booed from the pitch at half-time when both in performance and score terms, the Bantams bettered them.  They restored some sort of order immediately after the break through Ramon Nunez.  Normally, at this point, the higher ranked side goes on to slap down the impertenance of their pretencious opponents, but Bradford weren't up for a slapping just yet and took the lead for a second time.   But Ross McCormack and a second from Nunez saved United's blushes.  

DONCASTER ROVERS

Doncaster are very grateful to Tranmere.  Its nice to be able to remember your last win and ours was becoming a distant memory.  I am still hopeful for this season, though I suspect I am currently in a minority.  I will remain optomistic as long as I don't have to listen to commenatries like the one I heard on Saturday too often.

Its odd because after the West Ham and Forest games, I was enthusiatic.  From what I heard and later saw in the highlights there was an argument that we were unlucky to lose.  No such argument even remotely existed on Saturday.  Doncaster simply weren't at the races.

The manager can be blamed for some of Saturday.  When I saw the line up, I was confused.  It was obviously new, so why throw two kids playing their first league game into a structure that even your experienced professionals aren't familiar with?  Sean explains it in his post-match but it was a mistake and he knows it.  


Its not a mistake that will be made tomorrow though, if only because both the loan players have not been given permission by their clubs to play in this competition.  Completely understandable.  If Chelsea and Man Utd. did allow them to feature, they would be cup-tied, and then how could they put out a reserve side in this competition.


LEEDS UNITED

While Rovers fans are debating whether our manager should keep his job, Leeds fans are being a little more decisive and aiming a little higher in stating that their chairman should not keep his.  
Ken Bates - Lets get (slowly) excited

In response to the protests, Mr. Bates (don't you just wish he was 70 years younger as you write his name in a formal fashion) said the following in his program notes.


Now its taken me a couple of hours to think of what to type after that comment.  The thread may seem a little incoherant after this point but I mean Leeds fans.  How can you not love him.  Look at his little face!

Joking aside he also called the protestors dissidents and morons which was always going to help smooth things over.  As I see things, the fans of the club have had the small matter of their ownership kept from them for years and now they find out that it was always Ken, all along.  He has projects involvong the club where the financing is foggy to say the least and the fans simply don't understand.

Come on Ken, open up.  You may well get arrested for several major financial felonies when you do, but Leeds fans will stop calling you names!

McCormack - Not a bad second choice!
Sadly, I've not had the time to formerly review Leeds performances.  I saw them on Saturday against West Ham and they looked quite impressive.  I'm not sure how Carlton Cole ever scored the goal he did, but Leeds are safe from that kind of thing from the Rovers as it was inside the penalty area.  Leeds,  as always,  looked impressive going forward, even if without Becchio and Somma.  Ross McCormack, as Rovers' fans can appreciate is a more than adequate replacement.

Unfortunately, I can see Ross warming the bench once more at best when Becchio and Somma return to fitness.  By this time, I would think that our very own Mr. Sharp could be on his way back, so if Ross would like to do the same for us....

Enjoy the game everyone.  

2 comments:

  1. Fuzzy,
    Bad luck persists but I noticed Stocky came on for the last few minutes last night. Let's hope he is fully match fit soon to bring that "maturity" to midfield we seem to lack. With hayter back too I'm more optimistic but we need a couple of results soon I fear to boost morale. Views on Woods v Sully?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nookie

    Woods v Sully first. Personally,I think he's right to stick with Woods.

    Its not that I prefer either as a 'keeper, I just think Woods is more appropriate to what I understand as club strategy. We are a club that develops players and leaving players on the bench does not develop them. If Woods i given a year or two to gain experience, I think he will make a very good 'keeper. He'll then be sold on but we'll have the benefit of his development and his transfer fee.

    Its something that needs watching though and I'm glad Sully is there should it be decided that Woods doesn't have the potential Rovers think he has.

    Excepting the Derby game, so far this season, I've been largely encouraged. We have had 11-12 players out injured and yet have still matched every team we have come up against. I think there's little doubt that had we not had that terrible opener where we lost our two main strikers, we'd have a reasonable number of points on the board.

    As it is, with Hayter coming back I think the points will start to come in. I'll be very interested to see if he plays Hayter off Chris Brown in the next one. Something tells me not (at least not to start) but if someone could feed off Brown's knock-downs it could give us something more.

    Onwards and upwards!

    RTID

    ReplyDelete