Friday 12 August 2011

Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v West Ham United


DONCASTER ROVERS
V
WEST HAM UNITED


Discuss on JA606

Discuss on Lucky Pint


When I first saw this fixture it struck me that I couldn't remember the Rovers playing West Ham. So I looked it up and we last met 1st March 1958! 1958! I wasn't even an egg! Actually, technically speaking, I was, but explaining how is even more nerdy than...well...writing a blog about your football team.


Anyway, that's what the program looked like that day. Correct in every detail except that one is from our meeting in 1956. The price was the same though - 3d or 1.5p. And you know what? Even today I can beat that. Programs at most Swiss games are free. Yep, since I've been following my Swiss Club, FC Winterthur, I've not had to stump up for a program. You're seething with jealousy now aren't you? I can feel it!

I don't know what it cost to get through the gate then although I'm sure someone will tell me (something tells me it was one Penny). I do know that at the time, Donny paid their players "top whack". £20 per week. That's as much as they could be paid as a wage cap for footballers was still in place in those days.

Rovers actually lead the Hammers in the head to head too, by 10 games to 7 with 5 drawn but you know what? I think that's about the most irrelevant stat you will hear today.

So its a warm welcome to West Ham. We haven't met for 53 years, we've never "Giant-Killed" them because we've never met in any cup competitions so they have little to be upset at us about. And football results apart, I'm sure it will stay that way.

DONCASTER ROVERS


Last Saturday saw Rovers fall to their first opening day defeat since their return to the championship.  In midweek, they bounced back with a very convincing 3:0 victory in the League Cup against Tranmere.  It was very much back to the Rovers who knock the ball around with impunity and have their opponents chasing shadows.  While I am sure West Ham will prove stronger opponents that Tranmere, it was still great to see (or at least hear).


It was also a game where the goals were scored by three players who had never scored for the club before (in Chris Brown's case, at least not in his current spell).  That can't have happened too many times.  So congratulations Chris, Ryan Mason  and Kyle Bennett who scored the pick of the three.
A great performance was of course over-shadowed by another Rovers' player leaving the game on a stretcher.  Ryan Mason became the third Rovers player to bow out of a game in this manner in two games, leaving Rovers fans asking when our appauling luck with injuries will change.  Something has to be done to punish players who make tackles that injure ftheir fellow professionals.  Jack Welsh has apologized to Ryan Mason and I'm sure that injuring the player so badly was never his intention.


But by all accounts, his tackle was an out-of-control lunge.  Players need to be detered from making such tackles.  Its something for the authorities to look at.


John Ryan - Looking for a loan star
Both Ryan and Billy Sharp look to be out for a few months while the news on James Hayter is more positive, its looking like just the one month for him.  On another very positive note, John Ryan has stated that a few strikers have been approached with regard to bridging the voids made by the loss of three of our star players.  He asks for patience as the club do not want to rush into settling for a player who does not have the quality needed.  




Well done John and thank you to all who have donated to the Loan Star appeal.


WEST HAM UNITED

"I'm forever blowing bubbles"
Pretty bubbles in the air
They fly so high
Nearly reach the sky
Then like my dreams they fade and die"

Then like your dreams they fade and die?  Its a bit pessimistic for 3 times FA Cup winners isn't it?  Well unless your counting play-offs wins, you have to go back to 1981 for the Hammers last domestic silverware.  Rovers were Johnston's Paint Trophy winners in 2007 guys.  We're not going to be overawed for this one!

Ignore me Hammers fans,  I've conveniently steered around a European Trophy in 1999 (alright it was the Intertoto)  and your anthem has a little more to it than "Rovers 'til I die".  It will be great to hear it echo round the Keepmoat.



Due to the idiot minority, West Ham's league cup match against Aldershot was postponed in midweek so they will come into this one a little fresher than the home side.  Like Donny, they lost their opener to Cardiff at Upton Park 1:0.  Cardiff are very likely to be in the mix at the end of the season, as they have been in the previous two seasons so I don't think that result does much to detract from West Ham's position as favourites for the title.  You look at the team sheet and famous names like Rob Green, Carlton Cole, Kevin Nolan and now John Carew just jump off the page and make you ask what they are doing in the championship.

Frederic Piquionne
Looking at that match against Cardiff, West Ham had plenty to say in the game.  I liked the look of Freddy Piquionne, another not unknown name.  I thought there was a lot of energy from the New Caledonian and he has that knack all good strikers have of being able to take two steps and suddenly find himself with all the space in the world.  


There was something I saw at the back though, and it cost the Hammers the match.  When being attacked  there is a tendency for the defence to retreat a few yards too far.  Cardiff's goal was a prime example, a good run down the wing to the line and the cross gets pulled back to around the penalty spot where there was acres of space because the defence were on the 6 yard line.  It happened a couple of times on the day.

I also took a look at that game against Wigan and I can't imagine how that felt.  For those of you who don't know, the Hammers, needing a win for a chance at survival went two goals up only to be pegged back by a Wigan side also fighting for their lives.  It was the game that relegated the Hammers.  


If the Cardiff game hinted at a defensive frailty, the Wigan match screamed lots of them.  That retreating issue that I saw against Cardiff was there for all to see; the defence was standing off players; there were marking issues.  Lots to work on.  In fact, with that defence, I think the bookies will make a few bob from the people who have seen the star-names and had a flutter on West Ham for the title.  Sort that defence Sam, otherwise its not going to happen.


Enjoy the match everybody

No comments:

Post a Comment